While most people thrive with coconut oil, some with coarse hair like me HATE it.
Disclaimer: Since I share so much about curly hair products, naturally my article will contain affiliate links to products I use and love. If you take action (i.e. make a purchase) after clicking on these links or use my code I earn coffee money! Which I promise to drink while creating more helpful content like this.
Coconut is a moisturizing oil and is so popular in the curly community but it can cause some people’s hair to freak out. If you are unsure about this, lookout for signs really similar to protein overload: straw like, wiry, “dry” feeling, can feel brittle or stiff. If your hair just feels unmanageable no matter what you do, just avoid products with coconut in them to see a difference! Learn why coconut oil reacts this way here.
Here are my tried and tested recommendations for coconut free hair products.
Shampoo with Coconut Derivatives
Shampoos will always have coconut derivatives because coconut is the safest alternative for the harsh SLS ingredient and it’s okay for someone who is coconut free, because it’s going out of your hair; you are not leaving your shampoo in, so it is okay in my book! I don’t have a problem with coconut derivatives just have a big problem with coconut oil. So please use your discretion.
Whole Brand lines
- Cachos Brazil – Made in the USA. Use Code: HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here. Read the review here.
- MIRIBEL Naturals – Made in the USA. Use Code: HONESTLIZHERE to save 10% – Buy Here. I’ve used these since 2018, formerly known as Mysoigne. Love their new Protein Leavein + Flaxseed Gel combo in humidity. Read the review Here.
- Sugar Boo Curls – Made in India. Use Code: HONESTLIZ to save 25% – Buy Here.
- Dot & Key – Made in India. Use Code: HONESTLIZ to save 15% – Buy Here.
- Fix My Curls – Made in India. Buy Here. This line works best in isolation so don’t try to cocktail it with other brands. (note: Moisture Deep Conditioner has coconut) Watch my full review Here.
- Amazing Greys – Made in India. Buy Here. The shampoo is so moisturizing for both grey/colored curly hair. Watch how I use it Here.
- ALPS Goodness – Buy Shampoo Here. Buy Hair Gel Here. Made in India. Both products are protein-rich so be careful, use gel in small quantities. (tutorial coming soon!)
- Giovanni Cosmetics – Made in the USA. Amazon India links here – Low Porosity | Medium Porosity | High Porosity. Read the full review Here.
- Only Curls London – Made in the UK. Buy Here. Their creme & gel combo is coconut free. Read the full review Here.
- Jessicurl – Made in the USA. Everything, except their Aloeba conditioner & hair oils, is coconut free. INDIA: Use code HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here. Watch how I use it Here.
- Kinky Curly – Made in the USA. This line works best in isolation so don’t try to cocktail it with other brands. INDIA: Use this referral link to save 10% on your first order. Read the full review here.
- LUS Brands – Made in Canada. INDIA: Use code HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here OR Here’s a 10% off coupon for your first order at NYNM. To accept, use my referral link here.
Coconut Free Bond Repair Treatments
Ideal for those battling chemical or color damage. Try these after haircuts too!
- Olaplex – Salon No. 1+2 , or at home treatment Olaplex no.3 – read my guide here.
- Glycolic Acid – read my guide here.
Coconut Free Hair Oils for Prepoo
- MANE Method Mask – Code: HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here – Made in Canada. Watch my full review Here.
- CURLY Ellie Intense – Code: HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here – Made in the UK. Watch how I use it Here.
- ARATA Hempacado Oil – Buy Here – Made in India. Watch how I use it Here.
Coconut Free Flaxseed Hair Gels
- MIRIBEL Naturals Flaxseed Gel – Code: HONESTLIZHERE Buy Here | INDIA: code HONESTLIZ Here
- ECOSLAY Orange Marmalade – INDIA: Use code: HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here
- SUMILAYI Curly Gel – INDIA: Use code HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here
- ARATA Flaxseed Gel – INDIA – Buy Here
…More listed on my Amazon Store
Please note, I prefer using DIY OKRA GEL over flaxseed gel, learn more here.
Coconut Free Hair Gel with Protein
- Fix My Curls Defining Hair Gel. Buy Here
- Trelux Hi Def Gel – Code HONESTLIZ15 Buy Here | INDIA: code HONESTLIZ Buy Here
- GIOVANNI Cosmetics LA Hold Gel (protein) is fantastic used in limited quantities Buy here
- ALPS Goodness INDIA. This is protein-rich so be careful, use gel in small quantities – Buy Here.
- Bouncecurl Light Creme Gel – Read my full review here.
Coconut Free Hair Mask
- Boucleme Deep Conditioner – INDIA Code: HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here
- Mielle Organics Babassu Oil and Mint Deep Conditioner – Buy Here INDIA
Coconut Free Cowash
- Miribel Naturals – Made in the USA. Use Code: HONESTLIZHERE to save 10% – Buy Here.
- Manetain Cowash – INDIA Code: HONESTLIZ to save 10% – Buy Here
- Rawkyn Deep Conditioning Cowash
More hair masks listed on this blog post here.
I will update this list from time to time. Let me know if you try any of these products!
Need Hair Help? Ask Liz here
4 thoughts on “List Of Coconut Free Hair Products (that work!)”
You are my hair saviour! Thank you for helping a lazy curly woman with your tips.
It is my pleasure! Thank you for taking the time to post this, I feel so encouraged 🙂
Hi Liz! Do you find that the ingredients “coconut cream” and “coconut milk” have the same negative effect on your hair as the ingredient coconut oil does?
Thank you for asking me Anna. I find coconut milk works for me, which is creamy, and coconut water also but I definitely breakout and my coarse hair goes stiff with any product with high amounts of coconut oil (I can get away with small quantities so it really depends on the product formulation) Overall, best results only with coconut oil-free products for me. Learn more from my personal experience blog, ill tag on this once published