Don’t let a little color on Holi stop you from having fun! If you don’t know how to deal with it before and after, I got you. Here are quick tips to bounce back from a little crazy.
Here’s what you need to do (these are true for any successful wash day)
Prepare your hair before shampoo or cowash. It’s like a putting sunscreen before you step out in the sun, you see? Protect your hair from the trauma your hair may go through in the shower, caused by water pressure, wrong products, quantity of shampoo used, etc. Anything can happen, so gently coating your hair with penetrating oils is what you need.
You want to use oils that can repair your hair once they enter the cuticle. As found on naturallycurly article.
- Coconut oil is said to prevent protein loss in hair.
- Babassu oil adds strength to weak strands.
- Avocado oil has antioxidant properties and protects against further heat damage.
- Mango butter is great for adding hydration and moisture.
- Murumuru butter locks in moisture and promotes shine.
- Cupuacu butter is great for absorbing water and promotes healthy scalp. Argan Oil promotes a healthy scalp and is rich in Vitamin E.
- Grapeseed Oil improves hair elasticity. Has the ability to clean the walls of damaged capillaries.
- Almond Oil treats hair loss and is rich in both Vitamin E and magnesium.
I love using any of these oils when I prepoo because they have a little bit of everything! You can click on their names to learn more and check their ingredient list.
- Cachos Brazil Elixirs
- Flora & Curl Superfruit
- Jim+Henry Five
- Jessicurl Oil Blend (Code: HONESTLIZ for 15% off)
Cleanse & Deep Condition
For thick medium-high porosity hair: Clean your hair with your favorite shampoo or cowash conditioner before you deep condition. Hair masks and deep conditioners work better on clean hair for you folks! Wait, unless it’s a DIY. When you DIY, apply mask before shampoo.
For thin/fine or Low porosity hair: Apply your deep conditioner or hair masks before you shampoo. I am assuming you already use lighter products for your hair type so no, there won’t be any build up anyway. Your hair will thrive with this method.
Deep conditioning will heal any previous damage, depending on what you use. ME? Here are the cast of my favorites products in each category:
Here’s a tip!
After you rinse your deep conditioner (talking to you medium-high porosity) or rinsing out your shampoo (low po boss babes) apply a conditioner to your mid-lengths and “squish to condish” (STC) to finish your cleansing routine. I explain how to STC on the caption of this post.
ON Holi day
Style on wet or damp hair – these products will add moisture. Remember, dry hair is more susceptible to damage so keeping it moisturized will help you prevent any possible damage during your fun Holi celebrations. That is precisely why I advice you to deep condition the day before Holi too. Stronger hair can handle anything!
- Leave your conditioner in
Use conditioners without drying alcohol (like isopropyl alcohol; cheap conditioners like L’oreal Smooth Intense have it). Don’t, boo, don’t use cheap conditioners. Use safe budget conditioners in India to slather on your hair on the Holi day –
- Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Conditioner
- Arata Conditioner (use my code LIZARATA for 20% off)
2. Seal all the moisture in with oil
Do not use the fancy oils I mentioned before! Those are for prepoo ONLY! Time to bring out the Parachute Coconut oil from
3. Do a Protective Hair style!
AFTER Holi Celebrations END
OH BOO, hope you had fun on Holi! Now it’s time to get back to normality. The easiest, fastest way is to DETOX. No shampoo will do right now. Keep calm and Bentonite it.
1. Detox first
Visit this article for everything you need to know about this natural Detox-DIY. You only need 3 ingredients and 5 minutes. Keep this mask in your hair for Less than 5 minutes, rinse, and deep condition.
- Bentonite Clay
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Activated Charcoal (use only a pinch for your hair, please! Also, I linked teeth whitening charcoal one here now, so you can repurpose it later)
2. Baggy Method, before next wash day.
Apply hair cream on dry hair, put a shower cap on it, and keep it for at least 20 min (or overnight if you experience extremely dry hair). Shampoo next day and then style, to keep the moisture in.
3. Protect your hair while you sleep or travel.
I like to shove my hair in silk bonnet and then sleep on my silk pillowcase. There are cheap alternatives on Amazon but I trust Beausilkin for the best material and stitching. Use my code HONESTLIZ for 10% discount.
And that’s it. That should keep you protected before Holi, and help your beautiful hair recover after you have your fun. Let me know how it all pans out for you. And happy Holi!
Like this post? You will LOVE my Instagram page boo, follow me here for daily tips, tricks, and inspiration <3