Curly hair care needs to be as natural as possible. Using commercial products that have parabens, sulfates and even “fragrances” are reeeeeally bad for your sensitive and tender curls. Here is an easy way to achieve salon-like curls but with a homemade and natural curly hair care product!
Key Benefits of homemade flaxseed gel (FSG)
- FSG is organic, natural!
- Once applied, dries fast
- Gives your curly hair soft hold
- Shines and moisturizes
- Promotes hair growth
- Defines your curls
- FSG almost never has a cast like other commercial gels
- Used flax seeds are reusable again, making it super economical
- Rich in omega 3 which nourishes and restores health to your hair.
- Does not dry your hair unlike the drying alcohols in commercial gels
- Never causes breakage or hair fall, but PROMOTES hair growth!
- Perfect for wash days AND refreshes on non-wash days.
- Mixes easily with oils/conditioners/curl creams/essential oils and other gels too.
- Fantastic for all hair types, even wavy hair!
The 2-ingredient Natural Curly Hair Care Product
If you were wondering how to make the flaxseed gel for curly hair at home, then here is the quick method: All you need is some store-bought flaxseeds and filtered water!
- Mix 4 tablespoons of flax seeds with 1 cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Lower the temperature, and then keep stirring for 4-7 minutes until egg-white consistency.
- Take it off heat and strain the liquid into a jar. (For high porosity curls, add your favorite oil or essential oil at this point and mix).
- Let it cool.
Once cooled, the consistency of the flaxseed gel is more or less exactly that of any natural curly hair gel. Make sure to store it in the fridge. The refrigerated flaxseed gel can be used for up to 10 days. You can also freeze the strained flax seeds and use them again for your next batch.
Mix your homemade THICK flaxseed gel with a curl cream for excellent results!
A WORD OF CAUTION:
- If the seeds or the gel gets a sharp rancid smell, throw it away.
- If you have low porosity hair then mixing oil can weigh your hair down.
- Depending on the weather use a curl cream, oil or another gel to avoid frizz.
Try and see which product cocktail works best for your hair – let me know too so even I can try it out for my 3A curls.
Here’s a quick video of the best recipe I have ever tried – the key is to get thicker flaxseed gel for better hold and curl pattern.
Have you tried it yet? Let me know. Comment here