If you live on Instagram (like me) You must’ve come across the latest trend of using bentonite clay mask for curly hair. If you haven’t, Don’t worry because all you need to know about this inspiring new trend is right here. I tried the bentonite clay and LOVED it! Easy, a super affordable DIY alternative to shampoo! Try it soon for its super beneficial to your hair and scalp.
Wash day Line up for this result:
- Cleanse & Clarify: Bentonite Clay Mask
- Deep Condition: Inahsi Naturals (protein-moisture balanced)
- Style: Curly Girl Movement, Milk & Gel
View this post on Instagram
Why use this DIY Mask instead of shampoo?
Sulfates in commercial shampoos dry your hair out, leaving it frizzy and looking dull. Notably, cheap budget-friendly shampoos are loaded with synthetic ingredients. Say no to shampoo and avoid harsh chemicals if you want healthy, shiny, juicy curls! If you love easy DIY solutions for face masks also, then bentonite clay mask is the mask for you.
What is Bentonite Clay Hair Wash?
Bentonite clay is a mud; its ash formed after a volcano and preserved in an environment surrounded by water. It has very special properties, almost like a magnet! Bentonite clay mask attracts toxins and harmful metals from our body and to it and so, it’s important to remove your gold or silver jewelry when you use bentonite clay.
To put it in context, you can compare bentonite clay to “Multani mitti” or “mud of Multan” except it’s much smoother in texture. Multani is coarse, and it’s harsh when you scrub your face too much. Bentonite clay is really smooth and washes off easily.
What are the health benefits of Bentonite Clay?
You won’t believe how bentonite clay is perfect for your hair, face, skin, and even teeth! Here is a quick summary of all the benefits as featured in this informative article by Wellness Mama:
- Helps teeth get whiter!
- Provides minerals to heal scalp and hair.
- Helps skin allergies, infections and healing other skin problems.
- Detoxes skin and hair by attracting toxins to it.
- Acts like a clarifying shampoo for your curly hair.
- Leaves hair clean, feeling light, and bouncy! Curls will pop !!
How to use Bentonite Clay on Natural Hair
Bentonite clay has a pH of 8.3-9.1 and is best mixed with an acidic liquid like apple cider vinegar or aloe vera juice. If you want to follow the no poo method, then this easy DIY mask is a great alternative to shampoo. You can use bentonite clay even if you have colored hair, relaxed hair, or natural hair. This method worked for my low/medium porosity 3A curls.
A Word of Caution!!!
Apply and keep it the mask in your hair no more than 10 minutes! Keep a timer so you remember.
You want to wash it within 10 minutes because the ACV ingredient and the shampoo properties of the bentonite clay can be drying.
This mask is a shampoo mask, not your regular ” Deep Conditioning (DC)”. So once you wash it away, remember to condition your hair with a safe conditioner.
- Non-metal bowl
- Non-metal spoon to mix
- 1 teaspoon activated charcoal
- 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil for hair
- Filtered water/Black tea rinse/Beer to mix mask into a consistency of your choice.
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother (work with more for mid-long hair)
- ½ – 1 cup Bentonite Clay Powder (more or less depending on your length)
View this post on Instagram
Making bentonite clay hair mask is easy, follow these steps.
- Add the bentonite clay to the non-metal bowl a tablespoon at a time.
- Add the activated charcoal and mix the dry ingredients together.
- Pour your apple cider vinegar into this mix and blend, it will be thick like yoghurt consistency.
- If you want it more liquid-y or smoother consistency then add water or your tea at this point and continue mixing. Don’t make it too runny.
- If you’re using essential oils, mix them now. I poured some of my Sunny Isle JBCO oil
- Apply section wise and keep it for 10 minutes ONLY.
- Rinse with warm water thoroughly.
- Follow with a conditioner to detangle, condition, and to add moisture back in your hair after this “natural shampoo” treatment.
- If your hair has color/heat damage already, then make sure you DEEP CONDITION for 20min after you wash away the clay.
How to use Bentonite Clay on Natural Hair- VIDEO!!
I got all my cues from a fantastic video by @Jewejewebee Here it is!
How Often can I use Bentonite Clay on my Hair?
Once or twice a month is ideal.
Bentonite clay hair mask acts like a clarifying shampoo. It clears your scalp and hair of product buildup, dirt, oil residue, and gunk. The Minerals in the clay and the ACV inside the mask also heal your scalp! So if you have dandruff, psoriasis or other scalp issues, you can use this mask.
Can I store the mixed clay?
You can store your mixed bentonite clay mask in the refrigerator for a week.
How Often can I use Bentonite Clay on my Face?
Once a week is ideal.
As soon as you apply it, you feel a cooling sensation, as it dries on your face, you can also feel your skin tighten. Keep it for 10-15 minutes but don’t wait until it fully dries or becomes flaky. Wash it with warm water or wipe it away with a soaked cloth. The mask leaves your face clean, soft and feeling velvety. It also removes blackheads, deep cleans pores and treats acne!
Ingredient Links (Buy Here)
- Aztec Secrets, Bentonite Clay
- Nature’s secret Activated Charcoal Powder (optional)
- Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sunny Isle’s Jamaican Black Castor Oil Extra Dark
Disclaimer: Sales from Affiliate links help support this website and allows me to continue to create content like this. Thank you for your support!
Liked these tips? You will LOVE my Instagram @honestlizhere stories, live videos, and useful posts! Come, follow and don’t miss any new posts.