Easy and affordable a monthly clay detox is super beneficial to your hair and scalp, let me know if you try.
Disclaimer: This is a reader-funded website and sales from Affiliate links help support this endeavor. Thank you for your support!
Ingredient Links (Buy Here)
What is Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite clay is ash formed after a volcano and preserved in an environment surrounded by water. It has very special properties, almost like a magnet! Bentonite clay mask attracts toxins and harmful metals from our body and to it and so, it’s important to remove your gold or silver jewelry when you use bentonite clay.
To put it in context, you can compare bentonite clay to “Multani mitti” or “mud of Multan” except it’s much smoother in texture. Multani is coarse, and it’s harsh when you scrub your face too much. Bentonite clay is really smooth and washes off easily. Also, Multani mitti is just mud while Bentonite is Volcanic ash! Big Difference!
Health benefits of Bentonite Clay
You won’t believe how bentonite clay is perfect for your hair, face, skin, and even teeth! Here is a quick summary of all the benefits as featured in this informative article by Wellness Mama:
- Helps teeth get whiter!
- It provides minerals to heal scalp and hair.
- It helps skin allergies, infections and healing other skin problems.
- Detoxes skin and hair by attracting toxins to it.
- Acts like a clarifying shampoo for your curly hair.
- Leaves hair clean, feeling light, and bouncy! Curls will pop !!
- A reliable treatment for metal poisoning.
- Use this treatment sparingly.
- Use it to “reset” your hair and start over, when it feels hopeless
- Wash it within 5 minutes! If you let it “dry” in your hair, there will be problems.
- This is a shampoo mask, not “Deep Conditioning hair mask”.
- Remember to condition and/or deep condition your hair after to avoid drying.
- There is no need to prepoo in this case.
- Try bowl method to get this clay working into your hair.
How to use Bentonite Clay on Curly Hair
Bentonite clay has a pH of 8.3-9.1 and is best mixed with an acidic liquid like apple cider vinegar or aloe vera juice. You can use bentonite clay even if you have colored hair, relaxed hair, or natural hair. This method works great for my low/medium porosity 3A curls.
- Non-metal bowl
- Non-metal spoon to mix
- 1 teaspoon activated charcoal (optional)
- 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil for hair (optional)
- Filtered water/Black tea rinse/Beer to mix mask into a consistency of your choice. (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother (work with more for mid-long hair)
- ½ – 1 cup Bentonite Clay Powder (more or less depending on your length)
Making bentonite clay hair mask is easy, follow these steps.
- Add the dry ingredients together first.
- Add apple cider vinegar into this mix and blend
- For thinner consistency add water or hair-tea and continue mixing.
- Don’t make it too runny.
- If you’re using essential oils, mix them now. I poured some of my Sunny Isle JBCO oil (optional)
- Apply section-wise and keep it for 5 minutes ONLY.
- Rinse with warm water gentle yet thoroughly.
- Condition to detangle and add moisture.
- If your hair has color/heat damage already, then make sure you DEEP CONDITION for 20min after you wash away the clay.
- Style as usual or try #123gel method to fight humidity.
How Often Can I use Bentonite Clay on my Hair?
Once or twice a month is ideal. Bentonite clay hair mask acts as a clarifying shampoo. It strips your scalp and hair of product buildup, dirt, oily residue etc. The Minerals in the clay and the ACV together heal your scalp. So if you have dandruff, psoriasis or other scalp issues, give this mask a try. You can store your mixed bentonite clay mask in the refrigerator for a week.
How Often Can I it on my Face?
Once a week is ideal. As soon as you apply it, you feel a cooling sensation, as it dries on your face, you can also feel your skin tighten. Don’t wait until it fully dries or becomes flaky. Wash it with warm water or wipe it away with a soaked cloth. The mask leaves your face clean, soft and feeling velvety. It also removes blackheads, deep cleans pores and treats acne! Highly recommend for oily acne-prone skin like mine.
Thank you for watching & reading!
Need Hair Help? Ask Liz here
If you need help to figure things out, Book my 1:1 consultation here.