Did you know? Hair and scalp is supposed to be odourless. If you find that your hair smells even after washing it then this post is for you.
Why does hair smell?
Hair smells due to a combination of factors, including sweat, oil, bacteria, and styling products. There can be so many triggers that make your hair smell.
Sweat is produced by the body and can accumulate on the scalp. Sebum, an oily substance produced by the sebaceous glands, also accumulates on the scalp and gives the hair a greasy appearance. Bacteria can grow in the mixture of sweat and sebum, which can produce a strong odor (source). Finally, styling products, such as hairspray, mousse, and gel, can also contribute to the smell of hair.
What can you do to FIX smelly hair?
You can try a few different methods to help get rid of smelly hair.
- Try using a clarifying shampoo, as it can help to remove any residual product build-up or impurities in the hair that may be causing an odor.
- You can also try a vinegar rinse, which can help to balance the pH of your hair and scalp, and help to reduce any unpleasant odors.
- Additionally, you could try using a dry shampoo to help absorb excess oils and odors. I like using it on my day 3 hair or on days when I have no time to wash my hair.
How to AVOID a smelly scalp?
Make sure to keep your hair and scalp clean and use a light-scented SLS-FREE shampoo and Silicone-free conditioner. These ingredients can buildup on your hair and scalp when not removed frequently.
Lastly, focus on how you dry after wash and in-between-washdays to avoid smelly scalp. Use a trusty hair dryer or air dry in a way that your scalp is dry within 30 minutes! Try a hooded dryer!
- SugarBoo Cleansing Shampoo (INDIA) – discount code: HONESTLIZ to save 25%
- My Hair Dance Clarifying Growth Shampoo (USA) – discount code: HONESTLIZ10 to save 10%
- My Hair Dance Dry Shampoo (USA) – Tap to use discount code: HONESTLIZ10 to save 10%
- Hooded Dryer to dry scalp within 10 minutes!
Hopefully, this helps!