All you need is some store-bought flaxseeds and filtered water. BOOM. No really, curly hair products maybe not be as affordable for many. Using homemade flaxseed gel is an easy way to achieve salon-like curls! Here’s everything you need to know about the DIY hair gel. Also see products with flaxseed at the end of this article.
Organic Flaxseeds Buy Here in India
What does Flaxseed Gel (FSG) do for your hair?
- Defines your curls
- Promotes hair growth
- Shines and moisturizes
- Mixes easily with other hair products.
- Fantastic for all hair types, even wavy hair!
- Used flax seeds are reusable again, making it economical
- Does not dry your hair like the drying alcohols in commercial gels
- Never causes breakage or hair fall, but PROMOTES hair growth!
- Perfect for wash days AND refreshes on non-wash days.
- The 2-ingredient Natural Curly Hair Care Product
Method: How to make Flaxseed Gel at home
- Mix 1 cup water with 4 tablespoons of organic flaxseeds.
- Bring it to a boil. Bubbling boil!
- Lower temperature, and keep stirring for 4-7 minutes until egg-white consistency.
- Take it off the heat and strain the liquid into a jar.
- For high porosity hair or thicker hair, add your favorite oil or essential oil at this point and mix.
- Let it cool.
The flaxseed recipe is unique to individual choices really. For thicker consistency, use less water. For runny consistency use more water! Although my recipe uses a LOT of flaxseeds, I think Sanne’s recipe is brilliant. Watch her video below.
Things to remember
How long does FSG last? The refrigerated flaxseed gel can be used for up to 10 days. You can also freeze the strained flax seeds and use them again for your next batch.
Can you use FSG every day? I find that using flaxseed gel alone gives me a soft hold. So if you are only using this gel alone, chances are you will have to refresh your curls daily and yes, you can totally use this gel every day. You could even scalp massage it every night focusing on bald patches for hair growth!
How to strain FSG? Remember to strain it immediately when hot or else straining is difficult. Once cooled, the consistency of the flaxseed gel is like a hair gel. I use a normal “channi” to strain but most people use a pantyhose to the most gel out. Store it in the fridge.
Can I use FSG on dry hair? If you make a flaxseed gel with more water, runny consistency, so that gel has more water content. Logically speaking you can use that directly on dry hair. However, if you use the thicker version, emulsify it on wet palms before application. Also, remember that gels will hold whatever is underneath. Although flaxseed gel is moisturizing, if your hair is dry then make sure to add a leave-in or cream underneath. If you don’t have one, don’t worry! Leave some conditioner in your hair for moisture before using flaxseed gel.
- You can even mix your DIY Hibiscus Gel or Aloe Vera Gel for better hold.
- Scalp massage the night before wash day to stimulate your scalp and promote hair growth.
- Blend a curl cream you for a creamy-gel; helps increase the expiry for a few more days :) Win!
- Mix essential oils in the strained and hot FSG for extra shine.
- Add a pinch of Xantham Gum it is a thickening agent for a “stronger hold” for curls.
- Flaxseed gel also speeds up overall drying time, so make sure to add it in your winter routine :)
- Depending on the weather, if it’s summer use your flaxseed gel in the end since it will fight humidity! A la 123 gel method!
- Here’s a video of how I repurpose the seeds and use the runny liquid as a deep conditioner!
If your flaxseeds gel or the flaxseeds have a sharp rancid smell, throw it.
Flaxseed Gel is a film-forming gel; that means it will coat your hair. When you use too much (more than what your hair needs) it will flake! You may notice white powdery residue but you can just fluff it out. Flakes do not damage hair but having white residue in your hair can make anybody uncomfortable.
Some people are sensitive to protein. On my flaxseed powder pack (the one I use for cooking) says 100gm flaxseeds have about 41% protein content! Wowzer. Use your discretion – its probably why this gel or any commercial gels with flaxseed did not work for you. Not everyone love protein-y products you see?
If you have low porosity hair then mixing oil or cream in your homemade flaxseed gel may weigh your hair down.
Products with Flaxseed Gel
If you’re not the DIY gal you can still take advantage of flaxseed benefits with these products!
- Ecoslay Orange Marmalade
- Mysoigne Flaxseed Gel [Discount Code: HONESTLIZ ]
- Jessicurl Rockin’ Ringlets Styling Potion
- Arata Styling Gel [Discount Code: HONESTLIZ – India for orders over ₹999]
- Pretty Curly Girl Magical Flaxseed Gel [Discount Code: HONESTLIZ for India]
- Pretty Curly Girl Hair Serum [Discount Code: HONESTLIZ for India]
- Sumilayi Frizz Control Curly Gel [Discount Code: HONESTLIZ for India]