Style Curls with Ease. Get silky, frizz-free curls with the right mousse! See which one is most affordable and accessible to you by tapping on the links.
Disclaimer: If you use any of the affiliated links or codes to purchase, I may earn a small commission from it. Please note this article reader-supported. Thank you for supporting my work here.
Note: Ingredients listed may vary slightly from products received. Before use, refer to packaging for most up-to-date in ingredient information and any warnings or instructions.
Caution: Just like using any styling products over time, some of these mousses can buildup. Make sure you detox your hair from time to time to remove that and reset your hair.
Pro Tip: Depending on which mousse or foam you buy, some may feel sticky on your hair. If that happens you’ve used too much! Next time, try less quantities. Learn more from my mousse guide here.
Top 3 Mousses i LOVE
All these mousses have protein, my color treated hair thrives with them all. No sulfates, no silicone, no drying alcohols, no paraben, no animal testing, no mineral oil, no paraffin in these either. YAY!
Mousse On budget & protein-free: My virgin low porosity coarse hair loved using these. Pair with protein products if you want to make this work for fine, wavy or color treated hair
- True Frog Mousse buy in India! (discount code: HONESTLIZ to save 10%) This mousse can be very moisturizing. Don’t use too to avoid weighing your hair down.
- OSIS Grip Mousse (protein-free and affordable!) This is a no fail mousse for me, and I’ve used this on several of my curl clients with great results!
Let me know if you get any of these mousses mentioned above, or need help troubleshooting with them. Happy to help for your support you back, anytime!
Other Tried and Tested Mousses for Curly Hair
All safe for curly hair – sulfate/silicone/paraben free. I understand my favorites may not be accessible and/or affordable to everyone. Here’s a list. Tap on the links to decide if you want to experiment with them instead.
- Made in Canada – Dippity-Do Girls with Curls (protein-free) This was the first mousse I ever used.
- Made in Canada – AG Cloud Air Light Volumizing Mousse (protein-free) I did not have any wow results from this but others love it.
- Made in Canada – AG MOUSSE GEL Extra-Firm Curl Retention (protein) I loved used this for my short curls, but at the time there was no other mousse to compare it with.
- Made in UK – Flora & Curl Sweet Hibiscus (protein) – code: HONESTLIZ for 10% off in India. This is very moisturising; use less to avoid weighed down curls.
- Made in UK – Umberto Giannini Curl Whip Curl Activating Mousse – I purchased this when I moved to Doha, Qatar. It has soluble silicone. I stopped using it once I found my favorites!
- Made in USA Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse(protein-free) I love how this smells, worked better for my husband, he stole it so I didn’t want to try it again.
- Made in USA Design Essentials Natural Curl Enhancing Mousse (protein) I liked how this mouse gave me shrinkage!
- Made in USA LAAAYED® Silky Smooth Curl Defining Mousse This mousse made my hair sticky when used on dry hair, works better on wet hair.
- Made in USA Curlsmith Foam – This mousse did not work on my coarse hair. Have not used it on my cocolouredair to compare, but love the classic scent of Curlsmith in this one.
Hair mousse is a great styling product for all types of hair. It helps to add volume and texture, and can be used to create a variety of styles. It can be used on all lengths, from short to long, and is a great way to add volume and definition to your look. Whether you put your curly hair down or tie it in braids, mousse is a great styling tool to help you achieve the look you desire.